August 22, 2015

Latkes

A fancy word for "fancy potato pancakes". Don't stop reading because it sounds gross. Because it really isn't, trust me. Potato pancakes are made out of 100% potatoes that you buy at your local grocery store. But these are fancier than potato pancakes, which is why they're called something fancier than "fancy potato pancakes" or "yummier than potato pancakes". This is simple and easy. Not to mention quick. I love quick and easy, don't you?

Update: after I had these, I decided these weren't my thing. They made me feel a little queasy, even when I think about them they do. So, if you get a little nervous about the idea of being queasy or not liking them but making too much, cut this recipe in half and make just a small batch. This recipe makes a lot of latkes, and you may not like that (I think around 20). But if you like latkes, then enjoy.

Ingredients
  •  2 c potatoes, grated
  • 1 T onion, grated
  • 3 eggs, large
  • 2 T flour
  • 1½ t salt
  • ½ c oil, for frying
Directions
  1. peel potatoes, then grate them and put in medium-sized bowl.
  2. peel and grate onion, put them with grated potatoes.
  3. break three eggs into potato-onion mixture.
  4. stir until well-mixed.
  5. put in flour and stir, then salt and stir until all of the ingredients are well-mixed in with the other ingredients. Do not over-stir (you don't need to stir as often if you don't want to), or the eggs will get tough.
  6. pour oil into frying pan or non-stick skillet.
  7. once boiling or has bubbles, scoop out about ¾ of a cup of latke batter and pour onto skillet, about the shape of a pancake.
  8. if you can fit three, do three at a time, flipping them over like pancakes. Latkes are potato pancakes, so if you don't know if you're cooking them right, just pretend they're pancakes because they are...they're just not made out of the same ingredients and they're a little bit more lumpy. Whatever you do, make sure you don't burn them, and make sure you enjoy them, which leads us to the last step...
  9. Once you've used up all the batter, put them on a plate or platter, serve and


Scriptina Regular
P.S. got this recipe from my sister. I have no clue where she got it, but if you see a pin on pinterest that has good-looking latkes, that may be where she got the recipe. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of this...it made my stomach feel a little queasy and I'm even queasy thinking about them. So, these may not be for you, so let me forewarn you that this recipe makes a lot of latkes, so cut the recipe in half and you should be good. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Mind