March 2, 2016

Two-Ingredient Cough Syrup

So sorry I haven't been active on here -- I've been wiped out by the flu for the past three days.

OK, raise your hand here if you've had the flu and nobody's seen you for a while.

Like, I haven't done anything except lie around the house which isn't a big help to some people, but at least I can just sleep. Nights are the worst though because my eyes are super watery and ache-y and who ever heard of falling asleep with your eyes open? No, really, it looks like either I'm crying or there is an onion nearby because my eyes will fill up with water when they're closed and then just leak. I'm turning into a fountain.

I wonder what the Wicked Witch of the West did when she got the flu?

Last night was horrible -- I went to bed around 10:30pm and didn't go to sleep until a little after midnight. Then I woke up at 3am, 4, 6:30, 8, and then 9:15.

That's the way I sleep when I have the flu.

What sucks is that I got sick two weeks ago, so to get sick again is not cool. It means I'll be stuck with a cough for four to five weeks because I always have a cough for a long time after I'm well.

Anyway, I'm still sick, so because of that, check it out...

Quick, Two-Ingredient Cough/Sore Throat Syrup.

Serves: depends on how much honey you put in, and I haven't made it in a while, but it's enough to last you for a couple of hours, depending on how fast you take it in
Time: 1-3 min

You'll Need
  • a spoon
  • a bowl, a little bigger than a ramekin
  • a strainer
  • a lemon squeezer or a juicer
Ingredients
  • honey
  • half a lemon
Directions
  1. Squeeze lemon
  2. Place strainer over bowl, pour squeezed lemon into bowl or pick out the seeds and pour the lemon in -- it's fine if there are lemon strings
  3. Pour in honey until it's a tangy sweet. Taste as much as you want throughout the whole process. Won't hurt your throat if you do.
You might be uneasy about how much honey to put in so I'll just tell you something I find handy: stop pouring the honey in after a little bit, get a spoon, and try some. If it tastes sweet (like, honey sweet) and that's all, then you've added a little too much honey. In that case, just squeeze the other half of the lemon. Then taste it again after you've strained the other half of the lemon (that you just squeezed). This batch of cough syrup will last you one day and will be sticky if you get it on your pillow. So keep it in the bathroom at night. In the day time just keep it in the kitchen and away from little kids. If the mixture tastes a little tangy, then it's perfect. You want it to taste a little tangy. But even if it's sweet and not tangy at all, you don't have to put in the other half of lemon. The honey helps your cough and if you have a sore throat lemon helps too.

When you take the syrup stuff you want to drip it down your throat. Put it as far back on your tongue as you can without gagging. Then let it slide down your throat and try not to swallow until you have to and you should be good.

The cough/sore throat should go away relatively soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Mind